Did you know that moving is number three out of the top five most stressful things in life after divorce and the death of a loved one? (University Hospitals)
There is so much to worry about – your new living situation, a potential job, and getting your prized possessions to your new home in one piece.
That’s where choosing the right moving supplies comes in! With the right moving boxes and packing materials, you can be assured that even your most fragile items will survive the move.
Selecting the right moving boxes and the right amount of those boxes is one of the best ways to secure your items for a move. Other supplies, such as markers for labeling or tools for quickly disassembling items for easier packing, make the moving process more efficient. The right supplies can help you stay organized, protect your stuff, and ease the tension associated with moving.
At Silverado Self Storage, we are experts in helping our customers choose the best moving supplies, and we offer these step-by-step tips below.
How to choose the best moving supplies Reno
Step 1: Make a list of all of the furniture and items you’ll be moving.
This will give you a complete picture of all the packing supplies you need. Take note of fragile and valuable items that will require additional packing materials.
Step 2: Calculate how many boxes you will need
Knowing everything that you have to transport to your new house will allow you to estimate the number of moving supplies you’ll need for fragile items. On our website, we have a spreadsheet that calculates how many of each size of box you will need for the size of home you will be packing. Don’t be surprised by the number. It’s good to get out in front of this task long before your moving date. Ask our onsite managers for help with ordering these moving boxes.
Step 3: Buy quality moving supplies at Silverado Self Storage
Not all boxes are created equal. Our boxes at Silverado Storage are rated to carry a certain amount of weight. Check to make sure that any boxes you buy have a box maker’s certificate (BMC) that verifies that the box has been tested to carry a certain amount of weight. It should look like this seal from our boxes.
Without this box certificate, you have no assurance that the box won’t fall apart during your move.
So, now that we’ve walked through the steps of how many boxes you will need for your size move and the importance of buying boxes with a BMC, let’s look at the details of each box size and our complete list of all the packing essentials.
The essential list of best moving supplies
We recommend that you order your moving supplies and gather all of the packing materials — such as boxes and plastic wrap for moving — in advance of your move. It can take several days to pack all of the items in your home or apartment, so it’s a good idea to get a head start once you know your moving date. Give yourself enough time to pack each item with care. Taking the time you need will help reduce the stress of moving.
Boxing up your items does not have to be a burdensome task. With our description below of each of the high-quality packing materials to use for specific items, you can quickly master the best use for each box and which items are best suited for each box type.
Our professional moving boxes and cartons come in a variety of shapes and sizes that are specifically suited to fit a variety of household goods. Check out the list of boxes that we stock for our customers at Silverado Self Storage. You’ll be amazed at the offerings that will simplify your moving and packing experience.
- Small Box: This is a small, easy-to-handle carton designed for heavy items such as books, records, or CDs (one and a half cubic feet).
- Medium Box: The medium utility box is often used for pots and pans, toys, non-perishable food (cans and jars), and small appliances (three cubic feet).
- Large Box: The large box is built for bulky items such as linens, towels, toys, or lampshades (four and a half cubic feet).
- X-Large Box: The x-large box is for lightweight bulky articles such as pillows, blankets, and large lampshades (six cubic feet).
- 24” Wardrobe Box With Bar: This wardrobe box is equipped with a hanger bar to accommodate clothes from your closet or draperies.
- Picture/Mirror Box: These boxes fit almost any picture, mirror, or glass.
- Customized Dish Set: This customized dish set fits inside the small box. It is an extra sturdy corrugated carton of double-wall construction for all breakables, such as china and dishes. You may also want to use cellular dividers inside the carton as an extra measure of protection.
- Customized Glass Set: This customized glass set also fits inside the small box. It is an extra sturdy corrugated carton of double-wall construction for all breakables, such as crystal and glassware.
COVERS & PACKING MATERIALS
- Sofa Cover: Our sofa cover is ideal for protecting sofas, couches, and other furniture from soil, dust, debris, and moisture while moving, storing, or a home renovation (9’6”).
- Chair Covers: Keep your chairs protected with these chair slipcovers, made from waterproof, dust-proof, and stain proof material (contains 2 covers).
- Mattress Bags: Our mattress bags are available in four sizes -Twin XL size (54 x 96 in) fits Twin and Twin XL; Full size (54 x 100 in) fits Full and Full XL; Queen size (76 x 96 in) fits Queen; King size (94 x 96 in) fits King and California King mattress or other large furniture and household items.
- Small Bubble Wrap: One roll of packing bubble cushioning wraps is 12 inches wide and 30 feet long (30 feet total). Each bubble cushioning wrap is perforated every 12 inches. It is perfect for protecting your delicate and expensive items from scratches and corrosion while in transit or storage (12″ x 30′).
- Large Bubble Wrap: One roll of large bubble wrap is 12 inches wide and 20 feet long (20 feet total). It is lightweight, perforated every 12″ for easy tearing, and offers ideal cushion protection for valuable and delicate items during mailing, shipping, and storage.
- Small Shrink Wrap: Our shrink wrap rolls measure five inches by 1000 feet of clear plastic stretch film. This mini stretch film has industrial strength and durability, which can firmly secure small items while playing a protective role (perfect for storage, moving, or shipping).
- Large Shrink Wrap: Our large shrink wrap rolls measure 20 inches by 1000 feet of clear plastic stretch film. Film rolls are high-performance stretch plastic film, made from puncture-resistant plastic to wrap and hold items securely. Move, store, and protect your items faster than standard strapping and taping
- White Packing Paper: Our 25 inches by 30 inches paper packing Sheets are the perfect packing material to protect your fragile items. Ship and store with confidence with this thick paper. It is a must-have in your shipping supplies
- Tape Gun: This is a professional-quality hand-held packing tape dispenser with an ergonomic handle (packing tape sold separately).
- Plastic Tape: This plastic tape is 55 yards in length by 1.88-inch wide per roll. Our thick tape is tough and will not tear or split easily. It is perfect for shipping and storing in both hot and cold temperatures.
- Box Cutter: Our box cutter is both reliable and durable. The retractable snap-off utility knife is a stainless steel blade that cuts sharply and resists rust. It is made for heavy-duty use and is perfect for opening boxes.
- Permanent Markers: Our permanent markers will help you keep track of what’s in each of your boxes.
See our moving supply page for packing and moving supply pricing. Contact our professional staff at Silverado Self Storage to get help with your moving supplies. And consider us for storing the extra boxes and furniture either short term in our drive-up storage units or in our more permanent climate-controlled storage. Contact us by phone at (775) 787-8600 or on our website.